Monday, August 31, 2015
What Spirit-filled people are enabled to do
Today's post aims to unpack the key verse we find in the New Testament with regards to the Spirit-filled life - Ephesians 5:18. Whenever one reads Paul's letters, He will oftentimes express himself in such a way that presents parallel thoughts one right after the other. What we may read as a series of different commands can actually be different ways of expressing the same command. Whenever it comes to explaining to new believers what it means to be Spirit-filled, Ephesians 5:18 is the ground-zero of discussion. As we shall see below, the surrounding verses aid us greatly in unpacking this tremendous truth.
What we want to know is this: what Spirit-filled people are enabled to do?
1. Spirit-filled Christians are careful in their conduct.
Ephesians 5:15 "Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise."
2. Spirit-filled Christians maximize the use of their time.
Ephesians 5:16 "making the most of your time, because the days are evil."
3. Spirit-filled people are able to understand God's revealed will (in His word).
Ephesians 5:17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
4. Spirit-filled people are under the influence of the Holy Spirit.
Ephesians 5:18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit
5. Spirit-filled people will have a lifestyle of worship.
Ephesians 5:19 speaking to one another in psalms andhymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord"