Today's post is the first of a series that presents a twelve-step process to demonstrating the truth claims of the Christian faith. The main outline is not original with this author. The late Christian author and thinker Norman Geisler developed this outline and spoke to many audiences when defending the claims of Christianity. Interested readers may access all of Dr. Geisler's teachings on Christian apologetics, theology, and more at www.ngim.org. Christian apologetics is that branch of Christian theology that seeks to explain, defend, and present why Christians believe what they believe. The term "apologetics" derives from a Greek word "apologia", which the Apostle Peter uses in 1 Peter 3:15 to describe "giving a defense of the hope that is with you". Below I have reproduced his outline of the "twelve steps"
1. Truth about reality is knowable.
2. Opposites cannot both be true.
3. The theistic God exists.
4. If God exists, then miracles are possible.
5. Miracles can be used to confirm a message from God.
6. The New Testament is historically reliable.
7. The New Testament says that Jesus claimed to be God.
8. Jesus’ claim to be God is confirmed by miracles.
9. Therefore, Jesus is God.
10. Whatever Jesus (who is God) teaches is true.
11. Jesus taught that the Bible is the Word of God.
12. Therefore, it is true that the Bible is the Word of God (and anything opposed to it is false).
What I intend to do is devote the next several posts to the twelve above points. The goal will be to do an overview so as to equip Christian readers with an effective way of talking about their Christian faith. It is hoped too that non-Christian readers would seriously consider what each point has to say (I would even welcome responses and interraction). In all, may these next series of posts bring glory to the Lord Jesus Christ, who has decisively revealed God Himself in His incarnation, life, death, resurrection, and ascension.